If you love the sand, the water, and the sun, you may be considered our things to do in Cocoa Beach. Do you consider yourself a beach lover? When searching for getaways, many automatically think about beaches located along the coast of Florida.
In Florida, you are likely to find an unlimited number of beaches that could serve as your next summer vacation destinations, but some are really special.
Things To Do In Cocoa Beach & Best Of Florida’s Beach Getaways
Cocoa Beach is the place for the most affordable beach vacations in Florida, and with less than one hour drive, Cocoa Beach is the closest ocean beach to all the Orlando amusements. There is never a lack of things to do in Cocoa Beach or see in and around Cocoa Beach.
Besides the fun in the sun, Space Coast offers you the chance to go deep sea fishing, surfing, canoeing or parasailing. you can try your luck aboard a casino cruise ship, or just take a river tour and get up close and personal with the awesome wildlife of Florida.
Cocoa Beach came to life in the 1960s during America’s space race and the town even held astronaut parades after manned space flights. It´s also known as the East Coast Surfing Capital, as it had many of the greatest surfers in the world on its shores. This town has a small town feel, but there are tons of things to do in Cocoa Beach. With its prime location on the Atlantic Ocean, the beautiful beaches, great restaurants, friendly people, and rich space history, Cocoa Beach truly is one of a kind.
Cocoa Beach is a 45 to one hour drive from Orlando on Florida’s amazing Space Coast. The drive here is almost as beautiful as the beach – offering you endless ways to enjoy your leisure and recreation. Cocoa Beach offers perfect Florida getaways for couples or family vacations. Whether you are going on a family beach vacation, leisure travel, weekend trip, or just a day at the beach, you’ll find exactly what you’ve been looking for to make your stay one you’ll never forget.
Where to stay in Cocoa Beach? With less than one hour drive, Cocoa Beach is the closest ocean beach to all the Orlando amusements and there are reasonably-priced hotels. There are good, basic beach hotels all around the Cocoa Beach Pier, but go a bit further south where the beach is quieter.
Find the best Cocoa Beach hotel deals now!
Looking for fun and exciting things to do in Cocoa Beach, Florida?
#1 Watching a real rocket launch will really blow your hair back!
Check out the next rocket launch and watch it from the beach. Please keep in mind that launch date and time are tentative and subject to change. Here you can check when the next launches are scheduled.
Date: January 18, 2018
Vehicle: Atlas V SBIRS Geo Flight 4
Mission: A United Launch Alliance Atlas 5 rocket, designated AV-076, will launch the U.S. military’s fourth Space Based Infrared System Geosynchronous satellite.
**Delayed from Oct. 27 and Nov. 9.**
Launch Site: Cape Canaveral Air Force Station- Launch site SLC-41
Launch Window: 7:40 – 8:20 PM
Date: January 30, 2018
Vehicle: SpaceX Falcon 9 SES 16/GovSat 1
Mission: A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the SES 16/GovSat 1 communications satellite for LuxGovSat.
Launch Site: Cape Canaveral Air Force Station- SLC-40
Launch Window: 4:23 – 6:37 PM
Date: March 1, 2018
Vehicle: Atlas V GOES-S
Mission: A United Launch Alliance Atlas 5 rocket, designated AV-079, will launch GOES-S, the second next-generation geostationary weather satellite for NASA and NOAA.
Launch Site: Cape Canaveral Air Force Station- Launch site SLC-41
Launch Window: 5:02 – 7:02 PM
If you are a space fan take your chance to visit the Kennedy Space Center, it´s only a 25-30 minute drive. Meet an astronaut and get their autograph. Don´t miss the Atlantis exhibit this is great for the whole family.
More things to do in Cocoa Beach and endless opportunities for everyone’s enjoyment.
#2 The Westgate Cocoa Beach Pier was formerly called the Canaveral Pier as it was a popular hangout for astronauts during their free days. These days it is a local surf spot and offers beach rentals, fresh water showers, beach volleyball courts and lifeguards. You will notice that the Pier is always buzzing with locals and visitors from all over the world. Parking at the pier can be pricey and cost as much as $20 on some days. Location: 401 Meade Ave. Cocoa Beach, FL 32931.
#3 Cocoa Beach kayaking: Take a kayak trip around Cocoa Beach’s Thousand Islands where hundreds of manatees and dolphins live and explore the mangrove trails and tunnels. This is among the most fun things to do in Cocoa Beach for the whole family, and on these guided tours you do not need any prior experience. Price for a 2 hour Kayaking Adventure is $35 for adults and $25 for kids. At “Kayak Cocoa Beach” they offer different tours starting from different location, so call (321) 480-8632 to reserve your kayak tour.
Looking for exciting things to do in Cocoa Beach FL? Here are some of the most popular attractions.
#4 Lori Wilson Park is a beautiful beach side park featuring beach dunes, maritime hammocks for public use, a boardwalk, year-round lifeguards, onsite vendors, dog park, restrooms, outdoor showers, drinking fountains, and parking lots conveniently located on both the north and south sides of the hammock. The park has a dog area that is completely fenced. Lori Wilson Park Cocoa Beach FL Address: 1500 North Atlantic Avenue, Cocoa Beach, FL, parking is free.
#5 Remember “I Dream Of Jeannie“? It was an American fantasy sitcom about a genie who falls in love with an U.S. astronaut and the I dream of Jeannie episodes ran from 1965-1970. Explore the “I Dream Of Jeannie Lane”, the street sign is located next to the entrance of Lori Wilson Park.
#6 Alan Shepard Beachfront Park is a 5 acre, beach side park that provides 10 large picnic pavilions, several smaller covered picnic tables, barbecue grills, restrooms, and a bathhouse. Parking fee $15. Alan Shepard Park Address: 299 East Cocoa Beach Cswy Cocoa Beach, FL 32931.
#7 The Cocoa Beach Aquatic Center is a great community pool complex that is open to the general public. It has an Olympic size pool, lap swimming, large children’s area, a 12 foot area with swimming recreation and a slide. Temperature during the summer are always refreshing. The Cocoa Beach Aquatic Center is located at: 4800 Tom Warriner Blvd, Cocoa Beach, FL 32931-2054.
#8 There also fun things to do near Cocoa Beach. You can also visit the nearby Brevard Zoo (a 25 min drive) which houses more than 550 animals, including white rhinos, red kangaroos, cheetahs, giraffes, alligators, gibbons and more. Don´t miss “Treetop Trek” Brevard Zoo’s newest attraction where you can fly through the sky and climb through the trees, it´s fun. Brevard Zoo Hours are Sun – Sat 09:30 am – 5:00 pm. Brevard County Zoo Address: 8225 North Wickham Road Melbourne, FL 32940.
#9 Cocoa Beach Skate Park one of the best and well organized skate parks. This is a safe, fun thing to do in Cocoa Beach for kids. You can also rent equipment and take private lessons. Address: 1450 Minutemen Cswy, Cocoa Beach, FL 32931-2006. Open from 4 pm to 9 pm.
Events and things to do in Cocoa Beach.
Things to do in Cocoa Beach Florida in May. The 10th Annual Thunder On Cocoa Beach Space Coast Super Boat Grand Prix takes place on the shores of Cocoa Beach and Cape Canaveral. From May 16, 2017 to May 19, 2019 you can watch the loudest and fastest boat race at speeds close to 200 mph from Westgate Pier!
Every year in December colorful decorated boats run down the Banana River in the evening. The event is organized by the Rotary Club of Cocoa Beach. Best places to watch are the Sunset Cafe 520 and Banana River, the Wildlife Watersports 129 Manatee Lane, at the end of S. Banana River Blvd. or at Cove Park 540 McNabb Pkwy and bring lawn chairs and blankets.
Things to do in Cocoa Beach at night.
- Take a magical bio-luminescent kayaking tour! July through October beautiful blue-green glowing light is truly top among the memorable adventurous things to do in Cocoa Beach. Price is $40.00/per adult.
- At night The Beach Shack at the beach front is a must! Expect no frills, but a funky bar that serves strong, affordable drinks, good pool tables, pinball, friendly staff combined with an amazing view. At several night a week they have live blues bands playing. Address: 1 Minutemen Cswy Cocoa Beach, FL 32931.
- Spend the Friday night at Gregory’s UPSTAIRS Comedy Club (900 N Atlantic Ave) it´s worth the money to have a few laughs!
- When night sets in, you can kick back and enjoy the nightlife on the beach that ranges from cool jazz clubs to beach side cafes. Then, you can stay the night in one of the many nice hotels or resorts and wake up to a breathtaking sunrise on the beach.
If you prefer more privacy, there are a lot of holiday home rentals available.
Explore the perfect and best rated holiday villas and apartments in Cocoa Beach!
You’ll be within short driving distance to all of the Orlando attractions, and you can even drive back to Cocoa at night to enjoy dinner in one of the top dining spots on the beach.
Best places to eat in Cocoa Beach
- At Florida’s Fresh Grill you get delicious food (steak, seafood, vegetarian, gluten free) with rather creative sides in an upscale atmosphere. Address: 2039 N Atlantic Ave (across the street from the beach), Cocoa Beach, FL 32931-3312, phone +1 321-613-5649.
- Pita Paradise (Mediterranean, Greek and Middle Eastern dishes, gluten free) you´ll love the appetizer combo, Chicken Shawarma, Gyros, friend cauliflower…. Prices are very reasonable too, Lamb loin chops dinner is $15.99. No alcohol is sold here, but you can bring in your own without corkage fee. Come early, they close at 8:30 pm. Address: 225 W Cocoa Beach Cswy, White Rose Plaza, phone +1 321-784-4874.
- Simply Delicious Cafe & Bakery is a fantastic breakfast and lunch spot. Try the quiche, stuffed french toast, omelettes, and waffles . The baked goods are all fresh and delicious as well. The place is small and quaint so be prepared to see it crowded on weekend mornings. Address: 125 N Orlando Ave, Cocoa Beach, FL 32931-2914, phone +1 321-783-2012.
- I loved the Mango Tree Restaurant at 118 N Atlantic Ave. for their Italian food and romantic atmosphere, but unfortunately they closed. They now reopened a restaurant on Fiske Blvd. in Rockledge under the name Cibo Neighborhood Eatery.
- Restaurants on the beach are limited in Cocoa Beach, but Coconuts does have a nice beach terrace with an unobstructed view to the ocean. Address: 2 Minutemen Cswy, phone +1 321-784-1422.
What about Cocoa Beach Shopping?
- Ron Jon Surf Shop is like the city’s landmark and it seems that all billboards lead to Ron Jon’s.. a fantastic selection or clothes and anything you could want for the beach or surfing. Rent surfboards, kayaks, beach bike 4151 N Atlantic Ave, Cocoa Beach, FL
- The Florida Key Lime Pie Company. They offer more than just delicious pie. From wine to popcorn they have all sorts of goodies. They are also serving hand crafted beer and tropical fruit wines. Address: 102 Dixie Lane, Cocoa Beach, FL 32931, right next door to RonJon Surf Shop. The Store is open: Tuesday – Sunday 10:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- One of the best things to do in Cocoa Beach with kids is The Dinosaur Store Adventure Zone, they actually have a full size dinosaur in the store. This place is like a museum and kid store combined in one. At the adventure zone for kids they have about 10 educational/dinosaur related activities and arcade games to play. This is a great store for unique rare gifts, and very special jewelry. Location: 250 W Cocoa Beach Cswy, Cocoa Beach, FL.
- For your grocery shopping there are two Publix Super Markets (5645 N Atlantic Ave and Banana River Square), a Walgreens (at 4150 N Atlantic Ave) and a Walmart Supercenter (just accross the bridge at 1500 E Merritt Island Causeway).
Port Canaveral is very close by, so whenever your family is thinking of a quick vacation in the Caribbean you can easily choose to go on a cruise from Cocoa Beach, Florida.
As you can see, the tips we present on things to do in Cocoa Beach, were straight to the point with plenty to offer you and your entire family.