Taking a really marvelous weekend getaway doesn’t have to mean leaving the country, you will love our ideas on NYC Weekend Getaways. The feelings behind the slogan “I love New York” is one you’d certainly feel the moment you arrive in the Big Apple.
With a population of nearly 8.5 million people, thousands of skyscrapers dominating the skyline and blinking neon lights all over, sometimes it’s hard not to be overwhelmed when you first set your foot in the city that never sleeps.
NYC Weekend Getaways – great sights, tasty food, Broadway shows, all on and off the beaten path.
Beside Time Square, the Statue of Liberty, Rockefeller Center, Empire State Building and Madam Tussaud’s Wax Museum there is much more to see.
Behind all the concrete and traffic you probably don’t realize that NYC is in fact the greenest city in America. Nearly one quarter of the city are parks or open space. While Central Park is the most popular of green spaces in New York there is more for those who love nature.
NYC Weekend Getaways That Make You Feel As If You’re On Vacation.
- For bird lover take one of the New York Botanical Garden offers guided tours. Blue Heron Park is another great place to watch birds, where you can also watch Woodpeckers and Warblers. Clove Lakes Park offers also fishing, row boating, paddle boating, and outdoor ice skating when the weather permits. For plant lovers Central Park Conservatory Garden offers six acres of beautiful plant life to enjoy. North Garden is more a French inspired garden, while central garden reflects Italian atmosphere, and the south garden is styled after a traditional English garden.
- For more wildlife adventures visit one of the 6 zoos (Central Park Zoo, Buffalo Zoological Gardens, Bronx Zoo, Staten Island Zoo, Queens Wildlife Center or the Prospect Park Wildlife center in Brooklyn) or the New York aquarium. My favorite is Central Park Zoo, because it offers a view of animals in their natural habitat rather than in cages. With its indoor rain forest; a chilled penguin house along with a pool for the polar bears it is also a great place for rainy days.
NCY Weekend Getaways in the Big Apple and Manhattan.
- Ellis Island Immigration Museum is a great place to walk around and see all the rooms and items that are archived there. It makes you realize how hard coming to America must have been, most didn’t speak English, or hardly had any money. If some of your ancestors came through you might be able to find their names here.
- For the fun loving thrill seeker New York City Web2Zone Cyber Center has all of your extreme gaming and computing needs. They also offer tournaments on a regular base for the serious games, but also simple Internet access for those who’d like to socialize while they spend time in cyber space.
- Try something a little different on your next NCY weekend getaways. If you are looking for some cool extreme entertainment, you might check out Sky Rink at Chelsea Piers? This is a great way to keep things icy cool any time of the year and to master your skating skills with grace and class.
NYC weekend getaways that are truly special.
- Like feeling of wind on your face then perhaps a ferry ride will fill that need. Really you don’t need a specific destination in order to take a ride on the NY Ferries and enjoy the scenery. There are many different cruises available some last 1 ½ hour and take place during the day and others offer a 2 hour breathtaking view of the city at night served with some fab cocktails, especially nice for couples.
- If you are up for more fun you should get over to Coney Island and check out Coney Island Cyclone, Deno´s Wonder Wheel Amusement. Tips for thrilling NYC weekend getaways: Luna Park or the Parachute Jump Tower. Of course there are other things that this park has to offer those who seek smaller, less intense thrills as well, like a walk on the boardwalk or a romantic stroll at the beach. It really doesn’t matter what kind of thrills you seek, being in NY, enjoying the sight, smells, and sounds are enough for many adrenaline junkies and many find that being in this city is like being nowhere else in the world.
- Get the best view of the city at “Top of the Rock Observation Deck” (67th, 69th, and 70th floors of Rockefeller Centre – enter on 50th Street between 5th and 6th Avenue.) it is much less crowded as Empire state building and the view is fantastic!
- Flushing Meadows–Corona Park, NY second-biggest park, with its iconic mammoth steel globe the Unisphere is really worth a visit. It comes up with a stunning recreation complex, an art museum, a botanical garden, a zoo, a science museum, and a baseball stadium.
- If you are up for something unique stroll along the High Line, a public park built on a historic freight rail line elevated above the streets on Manhattan’s West Side. A revitalized piece of New York City’s past now featuring artworks, horticulture, seasonal food vendors, as well as stunning views of the Hudson River and the city’s skyline.
You need no car on a weekend trip to NYC as Taxis are the most convenient means of public transportation in the city. On the other hand the Subway is the cheapest and fastest way to travel around New York City, fare starting at just $2.
Where To Stay On NYC Weekend Getaways?
Most of the New York hotels are concentrated in Manhattan. Try “The French Quarters Guest Apartments” in a great location for theaters and restaurants and only 5 minutes from Times Square.
If you’re the artsy type fond of bohemian living then you’ll probably love to stay in Greenwich Village. Stay overnight at “The Jade Hotel” a small, retro hotel which is close restaurants and subway with easy walk to Chelsea, Tribeca, Soho.
Choose Chelsea if you’re looking for something quirky and fun. Try “Dream Downtown” a very hip hotel with funky furnishings, but a great place to relax at the pool.
Where and what to eat on New York City Getaways?
Whether it is pasta and pesto, sashimi, kimchi, sushi or paella you’re looking for, New York City has everything that your taste buds can imagine. NY food is a fusion of a bit of everything around the globe.
To list the best New York Restaurants is an impossible task, so whatever you prefer have a look at the the most recommended NY restaurants here.
What is the best time for NYC weekend getaways?
My favorite time for a NYC weekend getaways is fall or spring with mild temperatures and pleasant weather. But winter has its advantage too with the beautiful holiday decorations and the New Year celebrations.
The Carole King Musical, Jersey Boys, The Lion King, Les Miserables, or The Phantom of the Opera … for those who want to see some hits on Broadway you´ll get the cheapest tickets in winter, January and February are best.
While in hot summer months it is much easier to get a good table at a gourmet restaurant. You will also get the cheapest hotel rooms between January and April, but you should avoid February’s annual Fashion Week or any other events.
NYC Weekend Getaways Tips:
Want to visit NYC with dogs? No worries, there are a couple of dog friendly hotels in the city. For example: Doubletree Hotel New York and the Hotel Indigo in Chelsea, Hotel 48LEX New York at 517 Lexington Ave. Find more dog friendly accommodations in NYC here.
It really pays to make the investment in The New York Pass (a 2 day adult pass is $130), which allow you free entrance into some of the 80 biggest attractions. For example free admission to Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty and Ellis Isle, Guggenheim Museum, the United Nations Tour, The NBC Studio Tour, the Radio City Music Hall Stage Door Tour, the Rockefeller Center Tour, and the Tour at Lincoln Center, just to mention a few of the many places you can go for no additional fees. In addition to the free admission are also invaluable discounts that you can get on dining, souvenirs, even tours. Additionally the quick track entry privileges are a big time saver.
Lastly, check our latest offers on last minute weekend getaways NCY and hotels deals in Manhattan and enjoy your NYC Weekend Getaways!
Read more about weekend getaways from NYC here.